Thursday, March 14, 2013

In Which We Genetically Analyze Greg and Olga

     Greg and Olga are a young-ish couple who are ready to have children, but with their family history, they are worried that their child might have a disease. They hired a geneticist to analyze and study their family based on letters they had written about their known relatives, health conditions and relationships. With this information, I have been able to put together their family tree (pedigree) to show the different variables.

     As the key more or less clearly shows, only a few of their family members have been infected with FVIII and MD. One couple showed that FVIII skipped a generation, meaning Greg and Olga's child will most likely not have that, as both have a sibling with FVIII. As for MD, It hasn't seemed to carry over at all, so as a conclusion, Greg and Olga will most likely have an FVIII and MD free child.

     I did my own tiny pedigree based on the ability to taste a chemical on a paper or not (this taste is only obtainable if you carry this certain gene). I tested the family I could reach and then made a larger pedigree for visual aid. 

This here is the key to show what's going on in the upcoming Pedigree.

     
     As you can see from my pedigree, my immediate blood family can all taste the nasty paper, therefore the gene required must be dominant and prevalent in my family. Most everyone in the class could taste it, as well as my adopted father. It must be a common gene in most people!


No comments:

Post a Comment